Maps

Tuesday, June 28, 2016

AND FINALLY, FURTHEST SOUTH


'Ye ice falls! Ye that from the mountain's brow, adown enormous ravines slope amain. Torrents, methinks, that heard a mighty voice, and stopped at once amidst their maddest plunge! Motionless torrents! Silent cataracts!'
- Coleridge, quoted before the music of the Landscape movement begins in Vaughn William's Sinfonia Antartica

There is also a post about Salvador buried beneath Antarctica photos, so, you know, keep reading

I was worried, after the expense, a car break-in, the flights, the hype, and the crossing, that I would arrive on the Antarctic Peninsula, see that it was rocks and ice, and a few penguins, and realize that it had all been a waste. I was right in a sense ... for the most part, it was rocks and ice and penguins. But the scope, the sheer grandeur and volume of the place is truly something that must be experienced in person. I have been many places that look better in the photos. I'm not sure a photo can capture Antarctica. 



It is a land for the most part untouched, making it one of the last places to go to get away from it all. Even then, there's many people about. But they are outnumbered by penguins, and who doesn't like penguins? I could go on about Antarctica, its explorers, its creaking ice, but I won't. If you want to here me go on about it for while, do give me a call.





































No comments:

Post a Comment